Friday, February 7, 2014

Chickpea Nibbles


I've been a little nervous to post because I have so much to catch you up on! I am scared to open the floodgates and let everything come spilling out because it may never stop. I still need to post pictures of my new baby, Preston, and share the wonderful story of his birth. He is now three months old and "chubbing up" quite nicely.

But for now, I want to share some chickpeas with you.

Dreena Burton is always talking about her Tamari Roasted Chickpeas, and how she has to quadruple the recipe. Her kids love them. She puts them in their lunches and all of their little friends at school beg to try some, too. I was always so jealous and dreamed of the day that I might be able to put roasted chickpeas into my children's school lunches.

The thing is, I have made that recipe so many times. Even trying variations that Dreena provides, only to be thoroughly disappointed that my children DO NOT LIKE THEM! A few weeks ago she wrote an article for Today's Parent titled, "Protein-Rich Foods Kids Will Love!" In the article she provides another roasted chickpea recipe called, Chickpea Nibbles.


I encourage you to click here and check out the entire article if you haven't already. Look at those yummy looking protein packed foods! They are such good ideas, and really do well with kids.

I tried the Chickpea Nibbles out this morning, and to my satisfaction, my chickpea-hating children loved the recipe, and greedily gobbled them up.

Instead of eating their usual peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

That's probably a crime in some countries that are ruled by children. Eating chickpeas instead of Peanut Butter and Jelly? WHAT? Who knew?

I timidly asked them, "Would you guys mind my putting these chickpeas in your lunches?" Bug-eyed and stuffing them in their face, they paused long enough to say, "No, we don't mind!" Smile. Muahahahaha! I think it's safe to say my dreams have come true. And I really hope that your kids love them, too!

I have tried the baked tofu, too, and it tastes best after refrigeration because it firms up quite a bit more. On the website you have to click the arrows on the pictures to go to the next recipe, and the recipe is on the right side. (Took me some time to figure that out! Eek!)

I found them to taste the best after they had been wrapped in parchment and allowed to rest and cool. This helped the chickpeas soak up the flavor more. I am considering marinating the chickpeas before baking next time to see if the chickpeas can soak up even more flavor.


Chickpea Nibbles
By Dreena Burton
A few optional add-ons by Ashlee Crozier
Your kids will love nibbling on these tasty chickpeas warm out of the oven, or cooled for lunches and snacks!

What you'll need
— 2 cans chickpeas
— 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
— 1 tbsp tamari
— 2 - 2 1/2 tbsp natural ketchup

I added:
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 teaspoons maple syrup

What to do

Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Toss all ingredients together and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20-25 minutes, tossing chickpeas once or twice during baking, until marinade is absorbed but chickpeas are still tender.




Good luck and Happy, HAPPY FRIDAY!





5 comments:

  1. You posted! Hooray! I know about feeling like "opening the floodgates" :)

    And while we're on protein rich foods, I have a confession: my kids eat peanut butter & jelly sandwiches almost every day. Why? 1. They're cheap. 2. They provide basic nutrition & my kids like them. 3. They can make them themselves.

    I usually throw in some almonds into their lunches too, (easy, good protein source), but the chickpeas, I will be trying this recipe. And maybe, I'll sneak them into their lunch too...

    Can't believe your little babe is already 3 months! Mine is nearly a month. Goes by fast, huh?

    Glad to see you again!

    ox

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I'm so glad you've posted again! I can't wait to see pics of your babe. Thanks for the chickpea recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see you back on your blog! I had just started really getting into your posts when you took your break. I really value your blog because you post kid-friendly plant-based recipes/ideas. Along with Dreena Burton's work and Janae's posts at Bring-Joy, I look forward to yours to help me feed my kids. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! Missed you!
    Can't wait to hear the catch up
    Congratulations on baby Preston!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just recommended your blog again to someone and printed the home page out for her (Amalee's nurse). Then I realized there was a brand new post! Thanks for being such a creative sis food person you! Brave to try new recipes. Ready to take on new challenges. It is challenging-those school lunches can seem like little monsters.

    ReplyDelete