Thursday, June 14, 2012

Fresh Raspberry Pecan Vinaigrette (oil free!)



Okay. So every time I eat this I feel guilty. I'm messed up. If something tastes super-delicious, no matter how healthy it is, I feel guilty for eating it. Believe me, going plant-based has helped me with this issue. Life tastes super-good and I don't need to feel guilty about it.

But you will see what I mean when you eat this. You'll have to stop yourself and ask, "Am I really eating salad? Or is this sweet jam?"

This dressing makes a simple spring mix salad taste like I am eating dessert for my salad. Aaaah, dessert. Sounds yummy.



I just halved and coined some organic zucchini (this dressing also would work with vegetables like cucumbers and avocado) and tossed it with organic spring mix from Costco. Easiest salad to make EVER. I mean, E.V.E.R.

It's oil free. EASY.

I hope you love it!

In my area the cheapest place to purchase fresh raspberries and raw pecans is at Costco.

Here's how you toast pecans:



Ingredients:

1.) 1/2 cup pecans
2.) Oh, wait, there's only one ingredient!

Instructions:

Heat oven to 350. Place pecans in an oven-safe dish or pie plate. Toast in oven for 5-7 minutes or until fragrant. And watch them like a hawk! They burn so fast and easily!




Raspberry Pecan Vinaigrette
Modified from Dreena Burton's Let Them Eat Vegan! (I know, I am obsessed!)

I simply omitted the oil, and replaced it with twice the amount of water to make it oil free. The raspberries and gently pulsed pecans make this dressing more than thick enough to skip the oil.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
1/2 to 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (I used 1/2)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 1/2 to 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup or agave nectar
Freshly ground black pepper
6 tablespoons, or 1/3 cup filtered cold water (or 3 tablespoons walnut oil if you like oil)
1/2 cup toasted pecans
Additional water (1-2 tablespoons?) to thin if desired (optional, I didn't add)

Instructions:

Using a standing blender or an immersion blender and deep cup or jar, puree all the ingredients, except the pecans and optional water, and blend until fully smooth and creamy.

Add the pecans, and pulse until well incorporated but still maintaining some texture. Add water to thin, if desired.

Pour over spring mix or spinach, with chopped, raspberry complimentary veggies such as cucumbers, zucchini, and/or avocado.

Note from Dreena: If you do not like having seeds in your vinaigrette, strain through a fine sieve after blending. If using a high powered blender, it pulverizes the seeds quite well, leaving not too many nibbly seeds noticeable. But straining is still an option. Simply strain the vinaigrette, return to the blender, and then pulse the pecans into the mixture.



5 comments:

  1. What is going on?!!! All these amazing flavors and colors and sensational wonders you have been posting lately have boggled my mind!! Ice cream, Lasagna, Pecan Loaded Dressing... All forbidden foods in the diet world, and you have opened up the can of deliciousness AND health! I believe I can be a foodie now, this blog could easily be called "guilt free foodie!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaawww, Thanks, Aimee! These foods are not forbidden! Hooray!

    And, as always, your positive feedback is what keeps me going. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay so I made this the other day, it was DELISH! I added poppy seeds and left out the red wine vinegar, added apple cider vinegar instead, it was still really yummy! Then I added blueberries and zuccinni to the salad! It was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it fantastic? I LOVE IT! I made a double batch last Sunday so that I could have it on my salads all week last week. Good thing, too, with all of our major events -- I had food pre-made.

    I'm so glad you made it, and I am so glad you like it!

    Did you make the version with water or oil? I just want to know if the water version is just as yummy to others as it is to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dressing is amazing! OMG!

    ReplyDelete